In a world driven by social media, success stories become increasingly mind-blowing. You can literally go from being a ‘nobody’ to world fame in weeks, which is exactly how the 21-year-old make-up artist Ariel Tejada became one of the most influential names in the beauty industry today.
After finishing high school, Ariel started working as a makeup artist in New York and, as he recalls, “harassing” anyone who could help him succeed. He was constantly contacting photographers and models, hyping himself up as the best make-up artist to get the job. His willingness to boldly send direct messages to celebrities and confidently sell himself off as nothing short of a miracle-worker finally paid off when in he received a direct message of his own in April 2015. It was Kylie Jenner asking him to do her make-up and sending him her phone number.
Since then, the duo created one of the most influential looks in beauty history and gained an impressive Instagram following. Kylie creates a wave of excitement by posting selfies of Ariel’s masterpieces to almost 80 million followers, while Ariel’s own following is about to reach 1 million. Ariel has now created amazing looks for celebrities such as the Kardashian and Jenner family, Chrissy Teigen, Ashley Graham, Shay Mitchell, Olivia Pierson and Nicole Williams that have women across the globe attempting to recreate his signature glam. During his recent visit to Amsterdam, Ariel gave away his secrets during a make-up Masterclass. Along with his mind-blowing techniques of applying makeup that often break the rules and change the game completely, the young artist also revealed a complete make-up routine product list that I sum up below.
The look I did on @anxhelina for my Class in Amsterdam! I want to give a special Thankyou to @yafbeauty for making my Amsterdam the best workshop ever!!! Thankyou Guys ❤️❤️#makeupbyariel A photo posted by Ariel Tejada (@makeupbyariel) on
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz to fill in the brows
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pro Palette and an angled brush to shade the brows, using a lighter shade on the inner corners of the brows and a darker one in the outer corners
- Foundation: RCMA Series Favourites 5 Part Palette
- Concealer: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, Giorgio Armani High Precision Retouch
- Setting Powder: Ben Nye Setting Powder in fair to bake, a mix of Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Pressed Powder in Pale Yellow and Kevyn Acoin The Gossamer Loose Powder over other parts of the face, followed by Bare Minerals BarePro and Iman Luxury Pressed Powder over parts without the baking, Laura Mercier Translucent Pressed Setting Powder over baked powder under eyes to reduce flashback
- Contour: Bobbi Brown Bronzing Powder and Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Pressed Powder in Pale Yellow to cut the cheeks, followed by Milani Bronzer to blend out the lines, Bobbi Brown Bronzing Powder to contour the nose
- Blush: Becca Flowerchild, Girlactic Star Blush in Bora Bora to add shine, YSL Blush Volupté in no. 8 to blend it out
- Highlight: Dior #001 Diorskin Nude Air Luminizer
- Primer: RCMA Series Favourites 5 Part Palette and Laura Mercier Translucent Powder
- Crease: Makeup Forever M660, YSL Couture Variation 1 NU (3rd shade from the right)
- Lid: Kyshadow The Burgundy Palette (LA + NY)
- Liner upper lid: Master Palette By Mario (Violeta shade)
- Liner waterline: Makeup Forever brown pencil
- Upper eyelashes: L’oreal Carbon Black
- Lower Eyelashes: mascara in brown
- Lashes: Lilly Lashes, Ardell singles
- Lash Glue: DUO glue in dark
- Iman Perfect Lip Pencil in Tan to add depth, Makeup Forever Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner in 1C, Kryolan lipstick, Daniel Sandler lip gloss