This bright orange smoothie is so nutritious it can provide your body with an all-around defence during cold and dark winter days. It is filled with beta-carotene, vitamin C and other anti-oxidants, making it an amazing cancer-fighting drink that also helps protect our bodies and skin from premature ageing and inflammatory processes. Oh, and it’s super delicious too!
So what make this smoothie a true nutritional superstar? These amazing, all-orange ingredients:
- Sweet potato – it adds creaminess to smoothies and is probably the best source of beta-carotene, with one serving exceeding 700% of the recommended daily value of this important vitamin. Sweet potatoes are also an excellent source of vitamins C and B6, as well as of copper and zinc. Despite their high sugar content, sweet potatoes help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Carrots – another great source of beta carotene, a serving of carrots contains over 200% of its recommended daily value.
- Oranges – I don’t think I need to stress the importance of oranges in providing our bodies with enough vitamin C. The lesser known nutrients, abundant in oranges, are Calcium, B vitamins, flavonoids and fibre.
- Mango – mangoes are another good source of vitamin C, with one cup providing the recommended daily value of this vitamin. The same amount also provides us with over 30% of the daily dose of vitamin A.
- Turmeric – many believe turmeric is one of the most important cancer-fighting foods available but that’s just one of its amazing health benefits. It fights inflammation that is the cause of many auto-immune diseases and even some forms of depression, as well as prevents the development of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
How to make the smoothie?
Peel and cut one sweet potato and juice it, using a slow juicer. Repeat with two carrots and juice two oranges. Add one cup of mango, a teaspoon of turmeric and the juices in a high-speed blender and add a few thin slices of fresh ginger for an extra kick and health benefits. Blend until smooth and voila – your very own nutritional bomb no one will guess the ingredients of is ready! Cheers!