I love simple and healthy treats but enjoy exotic flavours, especially during the warmer months. This makes cardamom one of my favourite secret weapons that can turn even the simplest apple pie into a gourmet dessert that has people guessing what makes it so special. Cardamom gives dishes and drinks a fresh, sweet yet spicy flair, so the rising popularity of lassi drinks that rely on this aromatic spice for their unique flavour is no surprise.
What’s also great about cardamom is its many health benefits. It aids digestion and detoxification (mainly because it’s an excellent diuretic and flushes out our system), it can scare away colds and flus, can help us fight depression, has anti-inflammatory properties, is an aphrodisiac, helps our heart ticker on and even prevents cancer.
While lassi is usually prepared with yoghurt, I decided to give a vegan alternative a try and recreate the sourness with a bit of lemon juice. The results are more than yummy!
- 1 banana (add other fruit by taste)
- 4dl almond milk or other plant milk of choice
- 2 spoons of coconut milk in a can (the thick top layer)
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Half a teaspoon of ground cardamom
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4 ice cubes
- Blend ingredients in a blender and serve over some ice.